Thread: Valve Gapper
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
Has anyone used or purchased a "Valve Gapper" from Precision Measurement Supply? If so how well does it work? Seeing that they don't manufacture them anymore I'm trying to get them to build me one. Just curious to how well they work to set up the valve lash on my side oiler.
Thanks....
I've got one. It's kind of a fun toy. Frankly, you don't need it -- and it was pretty expensive when they were making it. You know, if you just have a dial indicator that has a locking flex post, like this: https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3233989 it would work just as well. I have that and the flex post screws in to a special set of vise grips. It makes the dial gauge much more useful than just having the magnetic base. I think I could just lock the vise grips down on one of the big nuts holding the rocker shaft down then I could position the dial right over the tip of the rocker and get a clean read on the lash. Maybe even better than the Valve Gapper tool, which is a little temperamental with my Erson roller rockers. You might try that. And even though I have all that gauge stuff, I still use a Go-No-Go feeler gauge to set my valves. Here's a pic of my valve gapper tool though.