Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No drilling, please. No distributor removal either. I have an extra magnetic pickup kit, so I measured it for you. The button head screw comes up from under the distributor. A 9/64" hex fits it. The locknut is 11/32". Do not pull the distributor out of the engine except as a last gasp solution. But remember, the "orientation" of your magnetic pickup is based on the whim of your engine builder. Also remember that you can turn your distributor one way or another to gain a little room to get your Allen wrench under there. Once you have the screw locked down from turning, just use whatever you can get over the nuts to take them off. Here, I went down to my car and put a mechanic's mirror angled to show you where they are.

Thanks Pat,
So you think the whole bolt is turning huh? I am thinking the bolt treads into the distributor body so if you were trying to remove the nut in a CCW direction, you would be tighten the bolt. That is why I think it is stripped.
If you look at your kit you will see one of those nuts is very close to the frame of the magnet so you cant get a socket on there.
I don't see where the location of the pick up is up to the builder, the hole in the part are going to the fixed location of the bolts? Maybe I am niot understanding you correctly. The reason I mentioned removing the distributor is there is a PDF from MSD that tells you to do it. I tried to post it but it is bigger that the forum limit of 39KB. If you pm me your email I will send it to you.
If I am replacing the hardware does it really matter how I get the nuts and bolts out. I was not sure those bolt were going to be used or the old ones stay in place and act as studs.
There is very little room to work, spinning the dist. around sounds like a good plan...as long as you mark it before moving it...lol
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear