View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewland View Post
Dan, if you're not too fussy about appearance, you can find a modern battery that does the job and will be a lot easier to install in your "daily driver".
It hasn't strictly been 'looks'. Having been in a Ford enthusiast family (three non-Ford cars or trucks since 1946) it has been more keeping a Ford all Ford if not real impractical. Our oldest Ford here is a 1930 Model A that was my father’s all time favorite car and the youngest a 2017 Mustang GT.

A reproduction of the Prestolite® manufactured Ford AUTOLITE® Division 1963-64 batteries Shelby American installed in new Cobras would be fine for us. A reproduction of the 1964 racing AUTOLITE battery would be fine. Unfortunately they are not commercially reproduced. I know of a restorer that had some custom made one at a time for his restorations but I sure cannot afford made to order batteries. The reproductions batteries for Mustangs are 1965 and later styles which seems silly to use use in cars made in 1963-64 even if you don’t might changing battery cables. (Our black car is still using the battery cables installed day one in the first quarter 1964 in use.)

If I am still around the next battery change something not so hard to squirm out and in will be used. At this point a battery change is at least ten years away so no need to worry about it now.