View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro View Post
Exactly what I wanted to know. I assume correct ones are unobtainium?
Original 1960s Cobra thread size wise: Used aluminum ones (usable originals made late 1963/early1964-mid 68) are rare. New old stock ones and twos at a time are still coming out of ex-racer collections or estates but they are very rare and often very expensive. I have helped restorers collect a correct new old stock set for whatever they are working on and it usually takes a few to several years to come up with a matching set...at least that has been my experience.

Ones made by some version of Halibrand Engineering mid-1968 until at least the 1980s machined to various thread specifications and taper specifications are offered for sale on various websites including ebayŽ used and new old stock.

I have purchased new old stock nuts from sellers that didn't seem to be able to work measuring calipers or count threads per inch that turned out to be the wrong "size" for original cars.

I can't tell you much about the multiple reproductions that have been being sold since the late 1970s.

I am using late 1960s versions from Halibrand on CSX2551.

Last edited by Dan Case; 11-22-2018 at 12:14 PM..