View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyc View Post
After hitting the drain plug off the road with my stock oil pan (T&L 347 stroker) I am here again looking for advice. I only had 3.5" of clearance with the stock pan so I am looking for a pan with a maximum depth of 7.5". Can anyone recommend the most reasonably priced option (model number) if there are more than one to select from? It doesn't matter to me what brand name it is as I only do a few hundred km's per year, no racing etc, I just want to get it back on the road.
I bought an Armando's pan for my BBF from Armando's ( Armando's Oil Pans )

Here's what I have:
- Sump depth (1/4" above the bottom of my frame rails): Front - 8 5/8", Rear - 7"
- 20" long sump
- Drain plugs: 1 at front, 1 on the side of the sump, as far back on the driver's side as possible
- 1/2" NPT bung at front for oil temperature sender
- 3/8" dipstick tube on passenger side
- No puke tank fitting

Armando did some custom work on my pan and didn't charge me any extra. Gotta love that. FWIW, my clearance issue is now the bellhousing, not the oil pan.

Rumour has it Armando worked for Aviaid before striking out on his own.

Great pan, well built. Pan capacity is about 11 quarts. I put the oil pan on a level surface (bottom surface is parallel to frame rails and almost perfectly horizontal to ground) and filled it to the level I wanted with water. I carefully measured the water as I filled it, so that was easy. Once the pan was installed I filled it with the same amount of oil, inserted the dipstick (generic dipstick from Summit Racing) and marked the dipstick at the level indicated by the oil.

The only thing I'd change would be heavier pan rails, but I'm not sure anyone builds them heavier. Regardless, they have not been a source of leakage. Photos of the pan at https://goo.gl/photos/LV32eSaJ4uwCyRWY9

BTW, I went with the dipstick fitting in the pan and capped the one on the timing cover with a push on vinyl cap.