View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     
Default VDO Series one speedometer

Does anyone have a VDO speedometer that they are willing to part with that I can use for parts? My Series 1 speedometer is freaking out and I need to see if I can fix it.

For the most part, it works ok. While decelerating, at almost a stop, the speed indicator needle hovers at 20 mph even as I continue to slow down. Then, as soon as I stop, the needle drops suddenly to zero. This happens almost every time. Then after driving for about 20 minutes, the whole gauge starts to freak out. The mileage LCD readout digits start blinking irregular characters (not even numbers or letters) and the speed indicator jumps to a random location. I was sitting at a stop light and looked down - it was pegged around 160! I reached behind the gauge and unplugged the power but the needle stayed there until the next restart.

It isn't the sender, the tko600 stock sender seems to be working fine, plus it did the slow down bouncy thing when I had the T5 with the mechanical send in the car. I replaced the sender to gauge wires as well.

I opened the gauge and looked around the circuit board but didn't see any obvious blown capacitors or resistors. I didn't see any cold solder joints.

None of the other gauges are acting up and the power is steady. They all share a common power source and ground.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 12-01-2018 at 02:14 PM..