Thread: Fan
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Isn't most of the issue associated with the Relays overheating directly attributable to wire size and the soundness of each connector for the circuit? There are Relays capable of carrying far more amperage than any automotive load requirement in any vehicle, just look at the average electric hybrid these days with relays carrying amperage in excess of 700amp.

The heat factor is directly associated to the amperage carrying ability of the wire, and the quality of ALL connections. One of the biggest faults in many aftermarket wiring assemblies is the use of "crimp on" electrical connectors at many locations through a single circuit and not soldering these connectors during electrical build-up. Each of these connections, if even slightly faulty, contribute to additional resistance in the circuit and overall heat buildup within the circuit.

A good practice is to check your wire amperage capacity for both gauge AND length per Ohms law and then build in a safety or overage factor based on highest amperage expected including start-up additional loads. All electrical motor components peak higher amperage demand at initial start up then return to normal continual operating amp loads.

And do not minimize the quality of all of the connections within a circuit. I personally solder all connections, even if I'm using crimp type connectors, then heat shrink with dielectric grease within the heat shrink tubing for water/weather resistance, discarding the colored plastic crimp insulation. This is very easy, quick, and inexpensive but ensures the most stable and weather resistant electrical connections in a circuit for a very long time. Also, do not forget to use a quality dielectric grease on all spade type connectors to minimize poor conductivity at the male/female spade connection.

If you are overheating relays, I'd suggest to review the overall circuit amperage load with all items running especially at start-up, factor in an overage for safety (probably 15%), check that the wire and relays are rated for these amperage loads and make sure all connections are sound, preferably soldered and heat shrunk.