Thread: Fan
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

As a kind of funny side note, for any of you that have ever worked on a 60s era british sports car with Positive Earth electrical systems. One of the contributing factors for the British selecting Positive Earth electrical systems was the cost and weight savings they could achieve with Positive Earth.

Using the chassis or body of the vehicle to carry the positive electrical surge of electrical demands, then the actual wiring carrying the ground back to the battery.

These systems were an absolute mess and thrown to the trash heap of OEM technology after a few years. My dad exposed me to these at a very young age as he raced several MG Midgets in the late 60s early 70s that also included the infamous "Lucas Electrical" components. One of the first thing he would do to each car was to convert the entire MG electrical system to negative earth and properly size wiring for all circuits accordingly. Positve Earth Lucas electrical fuel pumps were notorious to only last a year or two, many failures directly attributable to poor chassis electrical connections and the resistance and heat build up that accompanied this system. Poor connections, either due to age or weather exposure put the nail in the coffin of positive earth electrical architecture 50 years ago.