View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     

Quote:
here's the situation as I understand it. With fuses 7 and 8 out of the car, and the light switch off, if you start the car and turn the light switch on, everything dies.
Correct.

Quote:
If I have that right, then I would remove the light switch from the dash and remove the three wires off it. They are BROWN, RED, and GRAY. Brown is the hot wire. Start the car up and touch the brown wire to the gray wire and tell me if the parking lights come on or if the car dies.
Still dies.

I am occasionally able to have them light up, although if I just let it sit in that state, things die again in usually less than a minute.

(Note: I haven't actually been starting the engine for most of this, but instead have left the MSD kill switch on and just testing to see if the starter cranks. And now that I recognize it, I can usually just listen for the accusump to cut out when things go dead.)

Quote:
Bad grounds can cause some strange problems. ERAs typically have an engine ground strap, a ground strap on the trans and a cable from the battery to the frame.
Thanks. I only tested the resistance from the nut on the firewall to the engine block near where the ground wire attaches, but read zero in all cases.