View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Guy In Peanut Gallery Benefits From This Advice Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
With the key off, check for voltage on all 16 screws on each side of the eight fuses that are on your firewall. Write down which screws have 12v and which don't. For example 1-Left and 1 Right might have voltage and 6-Left and 6-Right might not. If one side of the fuse has it and the other doesn't then the fuse is blown. This is the configuration of your fuses:

1L----1R 5L----5R
2L----2R 6L----6R
3L----3R 7L----7R
4L----4R 8L----8R

Post those results.

Then, turn the key on and repeat the process. Post those results. With that info we can tell you where to look.

I wanted to support the results of the recommended 16 screw voltage testing in this thread. I too tested voltage across all fuses with key off then on. Found some deficiencies. My fuse blocks had a lot of corrosion so I decided to restore their condition first and see if that made a difference.

A few nights of steel wool, metal polish and contact cleaner. Took the opportunity to replace the rusted mounting hardware with new stainless. The good news is it looks a little better.

The better news is it restored the lost function of both my horn and wipers! This highlights the importance of starting with baseline diagnostics. I suppose I’ll put my wiper motor research on hold now!

Thanks ‘again’ for your advice Patrick!

See project photos below. Brent

Before photos – corroded:

After photos – restored voltage flow: