View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Driver assist for manual brakes.

I know what you are probably thinking, why would you want to install any kind of driver enhancements on a Cobra or any other performance vehicle for that matter.
Let me explain the dilemma that my client was having. Our shop had just completed a CSX6000 Series build for a gentleman, his first this vehicle this rudimentary, most of his performance vehicles being newer Ferraris. My client intended on having this Cobra built to participate in an annual "Cobra Tour" that lasted nearly a thousand miles and lasted a week. My ciient had another issue that took place during the build that required him having a double knee replacement. He was particularly worried about his clutch leg and was very apprehensive about his ability to utilize the clutch in the car. In the end he went on the tour and fully enjoyed the trip.
My client had the Cobra transported back to our shop for a good going over to make sure everything was in good shape and perform some basic maintenance in advance of the next tour, he also presented us with a couple of items that he was concerned about. The first concern was the amount of force he had to apply to the brakes to get the car to stop. The second concern was the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge, not important to this article.
While I was researching the components of this Cobras brake system to see how it could be improved, checking master cylinder bore diameters, brake pad composition, etc., I found everything in order.
So I thought to myself how do I make this brake system work more effectively and with less effort on my clients part? I came to the conclusion that power brakes were the only way to accomplish this. As most of you know a Cobra has very limited space for any kind of modifications such as power brakes. So how to do this, a hydro brake system has to many components and requires to much master cylinder acreage and ultimately chassis modifications. The only other alternative that is available would be a vacuum assisted system, again this presented some challenges. I could not use a combo brake booster / master cylinder unit for the same reason I couldn't use the hydro-boosted system. So what are you going to do?
In the early 2000s I had the chance to restore a very significant factory racing team MG, it was a MGC/GTS that was built for the 12 hours of Sebring. This MG was designed as an endurance / rally race car and was built to reduce the drivers fatigue wherever possible in long distance races by incorporating power brakes, it utilized remotely mounted power brake boosters made by Lockheed.
I now had my answer, now to find a suitable brake booster that would fit my application! I was finally able to locate the booster that would fit my application and mounting location. This brake booster provides twice the output of the original master cylinder, less pedal effort. I can't wait for our client to give it a stop.
A side bar to this article, when we went to register this Cobra in California one of the "brake & light" inspection requirements was that the vehicle had power brakes installed. At the time we circumvented that particular requirement.
Attached Images