Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Does it grind going into reverse?

For trouble shifting into 5th, I agree adjusting the shifter and stops is pretty easy. If you Utube it will come up. I can give you the run down if you can't find it.

When the shifter is adjusted correctly let us know if it is fixed or if the shifter was even a problem.

5/R share the same shifting fork in that transmission. It could be a bent or damaged shift fork, but don't think about that yet.

I have never driven a car with a Doug Nash/Richmond. Can you shift quickly and hit all of the gears? I am very unimpressed with the TKOs for the 2/3 shift and am planning my next Cobra.

John
I've had a Richmond Gear 5 speed in my Cobra since mid-90's. It's not a transmission I'd buy/install again. Shifting is not consistent and I find I need to adjust the shifter/linkage way more often than you should need to.
Maybe it's the Hurst shifter, maybe the transmission. Either way, not good.

Right now, if i do a high rev/fast shift from 2nd to 3rd, the transmission gets into a bad state, maybe in both gears at once? The shifter locks up and I need to keep the clutch in or all kinds of tire squealing starts to happen. The only way to get out of bad state is to bring car to full stop and shift into reverse. Bringing your Cobra to a full stop on a busy road in the middle of heavy traffic is downright embarrassing if not very dangerous.

Needless to say, the next time I spent a chunk of money on my Cobra, it will be for a different transmission than the Richmond Gear.