View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
I just bought an AC with a 429. Has a Holley 750 on an Edlebrock intake. I am waiting on shipping so dont have the car yet but having some fun looking at things I know I want.

This is an under car exhaust setup and currently has cast exhaust manifolds. I would like to put headers on it and have been looking at options. I live in Florida and heat is an issue so Im thinking of wrapped headers to reduce under hood temps.

Heres the problem. I dont know who's kit this is and have no idea what style 429 header would fit best. Is there a standard header designs known to work and fit well?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ceramic-coated
I doubt there's much progress you can really make until you know what make replica it is - and actually have it to measure, work on, etc. Post some photos of the engine compartment, suspension, frame, etc. once you get it and someone may be able to identify it.

Most Cobras use side pipes, and I believe an even higher percentage of 385 series use side pipes. I can't recall the last time I even heard about someone with a 429 or 460 with under car exhaust - those have typically been Windsor or FE engines. I suspect you'll end up with either a custom built setup or, if you're lucky, find a set of shorty headers that will fit in the tight confines. Based upon my West Coast Cobra, Sanderson ff463 might fit, but that's only a guess. https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...d-engines.html

I've heard too many bad things about header wraps to suggest such a thing, but many have had good success at reducing heat through ceramic coating. You may also want to put some insulation on the footboxes. There was a recent thread on CC about the kinds to use.

Good luck and have fun!