View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
They were the very finest (only) automobiles to ever come out of Malta. No higher praise.

First time I've seen a glovebox held in place by a pile of five pieces of mdf board. As for the carpet!! The party piece was the throttle linkage. A test drive discovered that at full throttle, the link went over center and refused to return. That was fun for the driver and almost reduced the number of MkV's by 33.3%. (My lawyer adds "allegedly") I could go on..and on...

At least the Angliss era assured the supply of cars and parts. AC cleared out it's spares department almost as soon as production finished. I think it was quietly glad to see the back of the car and I don't think they exchanged Christmas cards with Mr. Shelby.

But all that is water under the bridge as they say.
When I went to import my WCC into Canada from Connecticut Canada Customs interpreted the VIN issued by Michigan as 'MIxxx...' as 'M1xxx...'. Apparently 'M1' is the two-digit code assigned to Malta and, as Malta isn't part of NAFTA, it was going to attract import duties not applicable to a USA vehicle.

Other similarities to Malta: various build issues I had to address, including side pipe inserts installed in opposing directions, half of a rear main seal installed backwards, shoddy wiring, poorly installed gas tank and a Morse throttle cable that stuck open when the outer sheath buckled and jammed the cable.