CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozlow View Post
You might to look at Multispeed Controllers and Accessories

Bill K
Those are the guys at DC Controllers, Bill.

To ACVentura (apologies I forgot your first name); I tried to buy their (DC Controls) product four or more years ago and could not get a response from them — and they are 25 / 30 miles from where I live. It appears the business was/is a hobby business that the owner attends to on an unpredictable and irregular schedule.

At the time I found a company down in Texas, The Hollister Road Company, that had half the solution I was looking for. Their unit controlled only an electric water pump or an electric fan. I forget which but I wanted both.

They eventually agreed to build a unit for me that did both. The design and debug took about a year or so. Their unit requires removal of the t-stat from the cooling system and used a temp sensor instead for a closed loop temperature control.

When you start the car, only the water pump runs and only at a relatively slow speed. As engine temperature changes the water pump speed seamlessly increases (or decreases) to maintain your "set temperature", whatever you may have chosen. It also seamlessly ramps fan speed to maintain your "set temp".

At road speed if the airflow through the radiator is adequate to cool the engine the closed loop control circuit will slow down or stop the fan to maintain the target temp you chose. The water pump exhibits a similar change in operating speed to maintain engine coolant set temp.. When you park the car and shut it off both the fan and water pump will run on for 60 to 90 seconds to progressively cool down the engine — very nice unit.

Their website appears to be down right now but the guy's name was Dave Chapman. My prototype unit was pricey. The production units were quite a bit less expensive. I want to say he priced them right at $250 if I remember correctly. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you his phone number. Out if courtesy just in case the guy has decided to close shop I am not posting his phone number in the thread.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.