View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
My opinion on original vs modern Dunlop wheels is if it were for an original car, I'd have the original wheels restored and use those on the car whatever the cost. The cost to restore original wheels is usually more than new wheels but original is still original. Dunlops are now made by Motor Wheel Service, which is an old British company with their operations now in India. So though they're still made by an old British company, they aren't in England anymore.
For a replica car, I'd use modern Dunlop wheels. Dayton is another choice but I don't know much about them. I've heard of some of the other British car guys having issues with the splines being sloppy on Daytons but I have no first hand experience with them.

BTW, MWS will restore original Dunlops but you're going to add shipping to India to do it. I don't know anyone in the USA that does restoration. A wheelright is almost a lost art now.
Larry
Dayton imports the Dunlop wheels. I'm not sure where they are made. Real Made-in-America Dayton wire wheels are very different, using a completely different drive method and a larger wing nut.