View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Yes, it's been done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
One of my fears when I drive my Cobra is getting rear ended because the car is so low that visibility of the brake lights isn't that good and most people are barely paying attention. I was thinking about installing a very discreet third brake light in the roll-bar. I found a 3/4" LED with a smoked finish so it basically looks black when its off. I think having that little extra alert to other drivers up higher will make me feel a bit better but I'm worried it's going to look hokey. I'm sure someone out there has done something like this, any input or opinions would be appreciated.
I did this about ten years ago. Somewhere on this forum there is a detailed thread on how I did it, the parts, etc. What's interesting is the history behind the TBL. When it first came out, and was tested in New York City, it reduced rear enders significantly. BUT, that trend slowly disappeared and the statistics returned to normal after the widespread adoption of the TBL. Not having one though is clearly a downside especially if you have a turn signal on as well. In that case you're only going to have that one dim brake light on the side that you're not flashing. That light is a high-intensity red LED bar designed for motorcycles, if I remember correctly. It works quite well and also has a "dim function" that comes on with the normal running lights. Yessirreee, that's a beautiful installation. If you didn't know, you'd swear it was OEM.

Last edited by patrickt; 01-30-2019 at 07:58 AM..