View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I did this about ten years ago. Somewhere on this forum there is a detailed thread on how I did it, the parts, etc. What's interesting is the history behind the TBL. When it first came out, and was tested in New York City, it reduced rear enders significantly. BUT, that trend slowly disappeared and the statistics returned to normal after the widespread adoption of the TBL. Not having one though is clearly a downside especially if you have a turn signal on as well. In that case you're only going to have that one dim brake light on the side that you're not flashing. That light is a high-intensity red LED bar designed for motorcycles, if I remember correctly. It works quite well and also has a "dim function" that comes on with the normal running lights. Yessirreee, that's a beautiful installation. If you didn't know, you'd swear it was OEM.

I like that a lot and would certainly go with that, but my 'centre-mounted stop lamp' is required due to the fact my car was built in 1991 and therefore required to have the same as required for new vehicles at that time. Among other things, the minimum installation height is 860-864mm (depending upon which legislation / regulations one reads) or 34". License plate lights on our cars are significantly lower, so that's a no-go for the vehicle safety inspectors around here. B**tards!