View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Ventura View Post
Dan, just watched your links and car looks and sounds gorgeous. The street spec is very similar to my Mk IV
. I'm also running under floor, but am running the downpipes in front of the footboxes (like a sidepipe car) in the hope of unblocking the air out path. I'm constructing this part now, hence worry about the heat issue. What size primary/exhaust and what SpinTech model did you use? Would you recommend?
Thank you,

I'm running the ERA headers and downpipes. The header pipes are probably the same as for their side exhaust and the collector and downpipe is different and crosses the end of the foot box and turns back about 1 or 2 inches from the edge of the rocker panels. That's in contrast to the original street cars where the downpipes seem to run further inside close to the chassis rails.

The down pipes from the shorty collector are 2-1/2 inch and I ran 2-1/2 inch all the way out of the back. The SpinTech mufflers are 2-1/2 in and out. The are the low profile mufflers (3 inches thick) and they can be purchased in different outside and center inlet and outlet configurations and thickness.

https://spintechmufflers.com/low-profile-mufflers/

If I were doing it all over again I think I might use a 2-1/4 inch outlet model and run 2-1/4 inch pipes out the rear. By the time exhaust gets through the muffler it should be cooling and condensing enough that a 2-1/4" tail pipe should still pass plenty for 450 to 500 HP I think.

By the way, if you're car isn't street able to take it to a muffler shop, I found 2" PVC pipe and 90/45 degree fittings worked well for mocking up a tailpipe to take to a muffler shop for them to bend or weld up the pipes from. I was fortunate on the ERA that the tailpipe routing only requires a 2-D layout to get through the wheel wells and out the back. The tailpipes came out inside from where they do on the originals but the ERA rollunder behind the tires is deeper than on originals and would have to be trimmed or the tailpipes dropped down lower behind the tire to route further to the outside and clear.

Also still a fan of ceramic coating - for durability if nothing else. That VHT paint just doesn't seem to last very long for the most part.

Last edited by DanEC; 02-08-2019 at 07:44 AM..