View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
I called MW about the upgrade for the Jag. He gave me the information and two paths to take; use existing spline count or increase to 30 and convert to CV. The latter sounded the way to go however, the price shot up to near $5k...I did ask What he thought the power level it could hold. He said he wouldn't guess since it's a Jag rear but perhaps 300-400.. I am assuming per axle. Who knows..

So...

Then I started thinking about the other IRS systems out there because if you really think about it, a balls out straight axle is near $10K. The other IRS systems typically just need the CV axle upgrades.

The stuff I laid out in post #36 easily handles 750 WHP in 3,600 / 3,800 lb 03/04 Cobras. Less horsepower in a lighter car is a walk in the park for this type of IRS build and significantly, the price comes in well below your $5K target above.

The one item I left out of the list was the billet steel differential caps from Mark Williams. They are about $170 per pair => MW 8.8 Main Caps You will also need the outer knuckle kit which you can fabricate or buy from Ford's FRPP unit.

Ed

p.s. I have never heard an axle's rated power level represented in a per axle fashion. I believe the 300/400 power level representation was for the assembly and not per axle. The power level most likely has to do with the use of OEM quality parts throughout the Dana 44 build.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 02-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Added postscript