Thread: Oils aint oils
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront49 View Post
I'll open up a can of worms that has been hashed and rehashed many times ... Q. What oil is recommended for a 351W stroked to 418, roller rockers, cam, 750 Holley .....
If you don't have solid lifters, then the ZDDP content is not nearly as critical as if you do. That said, an old fashioned "healthy" ZDDP content is not going to hurt anything so long as you don't have a catalytic converter or other sensitive emissions equipment (which almost none of us have in these cars). That leaves you two basic choices, dyno versus synthetic, and what viscosity should you use. You will get varying opinions on both but, at least on FE engines, synthetic oil seems to "leak" a bit easier than regular oil does. Maybe that's just an old wives' tale. The best answer as to viscosity is whatever the engine builder recommends. If you're curious as to what I use, and I almost never even start the car up unless it's in the upper 50's at the very least, it's Brad Penn 15w-40 and it's a "partially synthetic" oil. I guess that's kind of like being "partially pregnant."