View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I am starting to think about my next build. The Richmond Gear Super Street 5 speed OD looks interesting. Gear ratios are nice, 600 ft/lb and pretty good reviews. It looks like the shifter is mounted higher than the older Doug Nash (Richmond Gear) 4+1 transmissions.

Do any of you have first hand experience putting the Super Street in a Cobra? Can the shifter be mounted lower by modifying the linkage? Is the shifter height even an issue in Cobras?

TKO is low on my list. Two that shifted poorly is enough for me, but they do fit nicely in Cobras.

John
I have an older model of this transmission (1:1 5th gear) in my West Coast Cobra and it fits fine, though previous owner replaced the Long shifter with a Hurst. I'll be going back to Long at some point, as I prefer the spring-loaded reverse.

Regardless, I looked at the shifter mounting positions on the tail shaft of my transmission vs the new one with OD, and they both look to be centred on the output shaft. See the illustrations on pages 56 and 61 of this: https://www.mdwparts.com/documents/RICHMOND_CAT.pdf

Now, on to the shifters themselves. I note Long has a specific model for Cobra Kit Cars. It's HN-1001C, and may be a lower profile / lower mounting than the standard HN-1000 commonly supplied with the Richmond transmission. There are also other shift levers available, but perhaps the HN-1001C shifter already has the appropriate lever - page 1 of this document: https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/...%20pricing.pdf

You may have to contact Long directly to get the correct shifter and lever.
Long Shifters
150 N. Grant Street
Cleona, PA 17042
(717) 202.8374 / Fax (717) 202.8372
G-Force Transmissions and Long Shifters
Good luck!

p.s. I note Long also sells G-Force Racing Transmissions, which appear to be their brand for the Richmond boxes.