View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA kit on order
Not Ranked     
Default Jag IRS hub outer fulcrum shaft question

I'm trying to prep some parts for the ERA FIA car that I have on order and I started working on the Jag IRS hubs this weekend. Setting end float on the wheel bearings is easy enough but I'm having trouble with the outer fulcrum shaft preload.

I bought rebuild kits from xks.com, the kits came with bearings, shims, seals and distance tubes. Oddly enough, the kit is for a series II with the one peice distance tubes and they sent 2 distance tubes (not two short tubes for a two peice set up but two long distance tubes that should be in the series II). Anyway, my plan was to put all of the inner shims (the ones between the bearing and distance tube) in there, measure end float and subtract what I need to set preload, seemed pretty basic.

I put new bearing tracks in the carrier, a nut on the shaft, spacer on the shaft, bearing on the shaft, distance tube on the shaft, shaft into the carrier, all of the inner shims that came with the rebuild kit , another bearing, spacer, a spacer to take up the extra space on the shaft and torqued to spec. Even with all of the spacers I still ended up loading the bearings, no end float what so ever. I took the bearing back out and added all of the old spacers, retorqued and the same thing happened. I'm not able to achieve any end float.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever experianced this issue? Is it possible that the new distance tube is slightly shorter than the factory one? It is possible that I'm just doing something stupid, but I figured I'd check here if anyone experianced in the Jag IRS hubs has any advice.