Thread: Oils aint oils
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Patrick

Not sure I understand what you are saying???

Some car owners don't realize that some areas of your engine get much, much hotter than other areas of your engine and that the oil that comes in contact with very hot portions of your engine will be "hotter" than oil that is down in your sump where your oil thermostat pick up is sitting. They then take that misunderstanding to the next level that if my oil temperature gauge never registers more than, say, 195 degrees Fahrenheit, then no portion of my oil, anywhere, ever sees a temperature higher than that number. Then, the third step of the misunderstanding is that if no part of my oil ever gets high enough to "boil water" then I must never be getting the water out of the oil to begin with. Of course it's all not true and the automakers' SAE studies all put the "perfect temperature for low wear" (as seen on your oil gauge) down below water's boiling point and, if you just test it for yourself with oil analyses, you can confirm whether or not you're getting the moisture out of your oil by whatever driving it is that you do and whatever temperatures you happen to see on your gauge. Of course, the worst thing you can do is just start your car up in the winter, run it for a minute or two, and then shut it down and store it away for months, and then maybe do it again. But, you still, from time to time, see the statement "If you don't get your oil gauge up past 212 degrees then you never get the moisture out of your oil." Which, of course, is bunk.