View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Registration

Even when the Tax Office has the manual, they are clueless on how to follow directions or most of them are this way. Bet I spent over ten hours on the phone with folks from Austin in a two week period and finally found someone that understood the registration of a replica Cobra. Even though your MSO might say 1965, the Texas title that will be issued probably will not.

The office manager of the tax office finally got involved where I went (Tomball, Texas in Harris County), they called Austin as I sat in their waiting room for three hours, finally the paper work was completed, I left with a paper plate, and then the Custom Vehicle plate came in the mail.

With that being said, the title was still rejected for unknown reasons and after many phone calls with Harris County, it finally showed up in my mailbox. Reason for the rejection- they wanted to take more time reviewing the procedure of a Cobra registration.

Bottom line- be prepared for aggravation but the manual you have clearly outlines the procedure and you just might be fortunate and get a tax office that can read and follow directions.

If a title states the car is a 1965, all is easy. But if it does not, you will jump through hoops for registration. Or if you live in a non-emission testing county, registration is easy. The whole problem is if your title states the year as the year of the car build, you will never pass emission because there will not be a OBD I port for emission testing and the car automatically fails.

Be patient, have time, and it will get done. Call me if you have any questions.

Nathan
713 960-2415