View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
My setup is not too different - a LR 427 intake with two 1850 carbs on it. The exhaust is enough to get a cold shoulder from the wife but if I look down the primary throat on the rear carb about 10 minutes after shutting it down I will see fuel starting to drip from the accelerator pump shooter. That fuel on hot engine parts sets up a real stink that lasts for hours in the garage. I have heat shields under mine which helped somewhat but not a complete fix. I do have my floats set to hold fuel just below the sight ports and Patrick probably has a good point about taking them down a bit more. But I think the main issue is the accelerator pump sitting right above the intake and heat off the intake expanding and forcing fuel out the shooters. I've also cut a piece of aluminum faced insulation and put under the accelerator pumps but it hasn't been a complete fix either.
That can only happen with the late bowls that have the red umbrella intake valve in the pump chamber.

Early bowls have a hung unseated ball that vents the pump chamber back to the bowl.

Late bowls that have no venting can have a .013 hole drilled next to the umbrella outer edge, or a groove cut in the bowl under the umbrella edge.

Gary