Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Thanks Ed,

I was just in contact with the Driveshaftshop, in NC, they basically recommended
the same thing. Right now we are working with Superformance on having this, the concern is that the current axel shaft (right side) may not be the right length. As noted none of our parts other than the CV that show no internal damage, shows any damage. We will be going to DSS or G-Force for upgraded axes Once we have the shaft length pined down.

Mark.

Mark.

Depending on the install that might be the case, Mark. I believe SPF offset the diff to allow for the use of equal length axles — but I can't say with certainty. My car had the Australian Dana and I never bothered to check. I just removed it and installed the 8.8 HD Ford IRS center section out of an Explorer. Here is a picture of the Explorer diff on theft and the 03/04 Cobra Diff on the right, click here => Diff Comparison

The Cobra diff is what SPF used to supply before the broohaha over licensing became an issue. Later after securing the licensing agreement the decision had already been made to go to the Aussie Dana. That was followed in short order with the election to use the ZF unit you currently have.

I elected to use equal length axles for obvious reasons and offset the diff to accommodate this. I suspect but don't know with certainty that the ZF is offset by SPF for similar reasons and you will probably require equal length axles.

Whoever you use to source your replacement axles and associated hardware from should be easily capable of telling you how to measure your car to determine the correct axle length. If they can't you are using the wrong firm.

Although it sounds a little elitist you really don't want to settle for anything less than the 930 Porsche CV joints when they are so easily obtained. The inner race on the G-Force versions of the Porsche CV's is a custom made hardened steel replacement with a 30 something spline count. Don't get sucked into using the smaller 28 spline OEM Porsche spline count units — they will fail with the kind of torque we can produce.

Ed

p.s. Although I didn't specifically say so, the install of the HD Ford Explorer 8.8 IRS center requires building the front and rear diff chassis mounts. Not a big deal but not a trivial endeavor either. Effort not withstanding, it is a definite upgrade to the car.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 02-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar