View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the kind words and the links, I'll review those in a bit.

The Webers have been completely dismantled and cleaned, it was a necessity. Too much fuel varnish to trust it otherwise. The third progression hole has been drilled and new Nitrophyl floats are now installed. I was the last to drive the car in May of 2015, so I KNOW it runs. My problem is putting the pieces of the puzzle back together correctly. I have spark, I have fuel, but timing is my main issue at the moment. I have NOT removed the distributor from the car, however, have replaced with a like Accel cap and rotor, new plugs (which are now badly carbon fouled) and a new identical coil. The car has an original Boss 302 distributor with the cable drive tach and when I try to line up #1 on the cap, I'm stretching the drive cable badly. I think the original orientation put the wires "back one spot" in the rotation, not that this matters - as long as #1 is at TDC and the rotor is directly underneath the corresponding terminal on the cap.

How does a MSD 6AL box affect timing at idle? It's my understanding there is a flurry of ignition sparks to ensure a complete burn until 3000 or so RPM. My timing light went nuts when I tried to verify spark on cylinder 1. Keep in mind the car is not firing, it cranks, backfires out of the carb, smells of burned fuel. Hasn't run whatsoever since the carbs were removed form the car about 3 months ago.

Thoughts?