View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Whatever is going on with this car is truly a mystery. I went to the trouble to pull valve covers to verify timing order. I verified I have an early model 1-5-4 order. I think I need to set the plug wires back one post to get closer to 0 advance. Knowing which wire was #1, I believe I traced form the cylinder head, pulled from the old cap an dropped into the marked #1 spot on the new cap. My guess is everything was scaled back one post on the cap to allow the tach drive cable to reach and not be overstretched. All things equal, retarded will pop through the exhaust and advanced will pop through the carbs, correct? I'm getting there, but now I'm going to need to remeasure the fuel levels with a greater degree of accuracy than the stamped steel float gauge. At least I know what I'm doing this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Mystery how the engine got out of time, just from changing the distributor cap, IF the plug wires were put back on the same terminals they came from. Without pulling a valve cover, you can get a good idea of TDC by feeling the compression stroke through the spark plug hole. When you feel the compression and your timing mark is close to TDC, the rotor should be pointing at the #1 cap terminal. See what you have. At least this should give you a starting point.

Last edited by Cornercarverfan; 02-21-2019 at 01:37 PM..