View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Last summer I attended a car show about an hour's drive through back country roads. I checked 3 different weather predictions, all said rain would hold off until 6 PM. Since the show was giving out the trophies at 3PM, I figured I was OK. NOT!! It started pouring at 2 PM and the temp. dropped. I had a friend with that is an avid cyclist (he was caught in the rain a few times) along so we waited for the awards to be given out because I knew I would win my class. Why not, right?
Driving home in the cold pouring rain was an "experience!" Fortunately, I had put on a new set of Cooper Cobra tires in the spring. Oh, and I have no top.
Well, the windshield wipers worked fine but the sun shade caught a lot of water and it ran down the inside of the windshield. All I had was a cloth I used to wipe off the detail spray and it smeared the inside of the glass. Of course the windshield was just low enough that the rain drops kept hitting me in the eyes! The water ran up the fender and poured on my knee (as it did for my friend). Needless to say, a car that light with that much power on twisty back roads in the pouring rain is a handful, to say the least! I never got out of 3rd. gear. It was a long 1.5+ hr. ride home. The people in the cars we passed had that look on their faces like we were nuts, but we made it home safe and soaked. It took 2 full days to clean up my Cobra.
Now, I knew sooner or later I would get caught in the rain with it, but I didn't expect to get caught so far away and in such a downpour. One thing I was glad of was I had a friend to keep the passenger seat dry! He didn't mind and we often laugh about it, he doesn't turn down the chance to ride in it.