Thread: Dead Cylinder
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You have lots of experts and opinions being posted. Most of these people are way more talented than I ever was on motors and problems. After reading about 15 entries, I stopped, but maybe someone has posted this thought.

Your opening sentence was you had a popping and backfire and to me that sounds like it could be a valve train problem like a valve not adjusted (locking nut backed off) or a bent push rod.

I know nothing about your fuel injection system but one time on one of my BMW fuel injected motorcycle, I knocked off the throttle cable on the throttle body flange and did not catch. The bike started and it sounded absolutely horrible (of course it was running on one of two cylinders) and backfiring and making all kinds of racket.

So could there be something loose on your throttle linkage not letting the throttle body open on that hole? And or pull the valve cover off and check for a loose rocker arm or bent push rod on that cylinder.

I am like you. Hard to imagine your motor could be damaged especially when a good engine builder did all the work. Hoping it is something simple.

Best,
Nathan
Houston, Texas
2006 Backdraft