Thread: Gas Smell
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmargolis View Post
Have Backdraft #357 built in 2006 by Vintage and had the car for almost a year now. Previously kept a '69 Stingray in the garage before Hurricane Harvey in Houston for 20 years.

I know carbureted cars will have a gas smell as the Stingray did. The Cobra has one but is stronger than the Corvette by far. This is the only vehicle kept in the garage.

Have checked thoroughly the fuel lines, gas tank, carburetor on a lift and areas underneath the Cobra while parked. Absolutely no leaks. Have check the Holley venturi right after shut down and no drainage. Carb has no signs of leakage. Car runs fine and idles nicely at 900-1000 RPM. Even checked float levels and that correct. Have not made any carb adjustments as car runs fine and want to leave well enough alone on that.

QUESTION: Cobra has real stainless braided fuel lines in engine bay. A reputable engine and high performance mechanic who installed a Vortec blower on a S95 Mustang once owned told me that these type of fuel lines are known to permeate (release) fuel odor even though there is absolutely no leaks in the hose. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD SOMETHING LIKE THIS OR HAVE A STRONGER THAN ONE WOULD THINK FUEL SMELL IN A TWO CAR GARAGE? When the car is running in an open area like sitting at a red light, you do not smell a fuel smell.

Appreciate comments.

Best,
Nathan in Houston, Texas
Yes, I had the identical issue for years. I had installed stainless braided hoses in my trunk. They were plumbed to 2 Stewart Warner fuel pumps. Whenever I raised the trunk I always smelled gas fumes but there was never a leak.

Some years later I decided to replace the braided lines with black rubber lines because they were more period-correct looking. Immediately after replacing the braided lines, the gas fume smell disappeared. That was 8-10 years ago and I still don't have any gas odor in the trunk.

Last edited by HTM101; 03-09-2019 at 04:55 AM..