Thread: Float Level
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Float Level

Hi, I have a ERA w/427 FE block stroker with 2- 4 barrels (4160 600 cfm) on a Ford motorsport manifold (C7ZX-9425-A). I recently had both carburetors professionally rebuilt and restored. I assume when they were done most of the parameters were roughly set to specs. However the carbs sit on the manifold slanted forward approximately 5 deg or about .750 from the rear to the tip of the front.That's the way the manifolds were casted. This tells me that the float level will be off. I started the engine let it warm up good and checked the fuel level. Just as I thought gas came poring out the level plugs on both carbs. So I lowered all 4 floats to a point gas just trickled out the bottom of the level sight holes. My question does this sound like the right way to go about the issue? I runs good ( can't take it out for a road test because of the weather) idle is even and I see no issues. Before I adjusted the floats I removed the carbs and the base gaskets were soaked in gas, that told me something is wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Before all this when the engine was warm and shut down after a couple of hours gas would drip from both secondary throttle shafts. Now that issue is gone.
Thanks again....