Thread: Float Level
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical glass View Post
So I lowered all 4 floats to a point gas just trickled out the bottom of the level sight holes. My question does this sound like the right way to go about the issue?
Yes, that's the first step in finding the float adjustments that are right for you. The angles of the carbs, when your engine is in an ERA car, is different than if it was sitting in, say, a light weight Galaxy. Plus, the gas is way different than it was when Holley wrote their instructions (and they haven't changed in 50 years either). If "the bottom of the sight hole" is too high for your particular carb angle/gas quality combination, then you will know it by one of three ways: 1) you will smell, and even see, gas percolating out of the top of the carb; 2) you will have hot start difficulties on summer days; 3) you will see wet spots around the carb shafts. If you have none of these, then keeping the level right at the bottom or the sight hole is right for you. FWIW, I cannot set my floats right at the bottom of the sight holes as it causes all three problems. For me, about an eighth of turn down, or even a hair more, eliminates all three problems with no performance impact. It's a trial and error proposition to find what's right for you.