View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
How does one make the larger holes in the dash that are required for the tach and speed?
BD
Ooooh, that is not easy. If it were me, I'd just order a new dash from ERA with the correct holes cut and the vinyl glued on. Making your existing holes bigger would require pulling the dash (which means removing all the gauges, switches, etc., and then, from the back side, scraping the cut portion of the vinyl back off from around each hole, cutting a new perfect circle-hole, without going through the vinyl on the front, for each gauge, and then re-gluing the vinyl back down on the back. Forget it, that's a ridiculously difficult job.

Now, what you might want to try to one hole before you order the new dash is to remove your existing gauge and then use your Dremel to make numerous radial cuts around the perimeter of the hole and then "press fit" your new gauge in that hole and see if, with a lot of circumference cuts, you get the edge to "bend back" and the bezel around the gauge look flush on the dashboard. I don't know if that would work, but if I was going to order a new dash anyway I'd give it a shot.