View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Cobra hood scoops

Hi all. I have a two part question about 427 Cobra hood scoops:

Part 1: I have a 427 Cobra hood scoop that I purchased about 20 years ago at a SAAC convention:

Yes that is an original Shelby autograph.

The hood scoop is 17" wide x 24" long including a 1" flange. The scoop opening is 15" wide x 1.5" high. The front opening has a 0.5" flange folded over to the inside along the top edge of the opening.

Is this a "correct" hood scoop? Shape? Size?

What application is it for? S/C? Comp? Webers?

Is this scoop still available from some source?

Part 2: Do these scoops feed enough air to aid in cooling on a street car application?

I do not have an engine cooling problem as I have a sufficiently sized aluminum radiator and two sets ("period correct" fans ahead of the radiator and a large shrouded puller fan behind the radiator) of fans to cool it. With the fans operating I can cool the water temp below 185 deg F on an 90 deg F day in stop and go traffic. So I don't have a cooling problem.

But I think i have had occasional vapor lock problems with all that hot air under the hood and would like to reduce underhood temps.

Would a hood scoop help by moving more air into the engine compartment while moving or moving more air out while stopped?

Now here is some heresy. Would cutting out an opening in the back of the scoop aid in suction effect to pull hot air or allow the fans to push more hot air out? Yes, some hot air may spill over the windshield into the cockpit.

Just wondering.

Cheers
Greg