View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
It is weird, when I bought it, Canton advertised it as a 7 qt pan. Summit still says 7 qts. On that page you linked, Canton says 9 qts in one place and 8 qts in another. I don't know what they want.

How far down should the oil be when the motor is not running? If I can get a measurement from a known point (block pan rails or bottom of the timing cover) I can fill it to spec, then reset my oil fill mark on the dipstick.
Yes, I see the two conflicting references on system capacity. At the very least you could start with an additional quart, but I'd be inclined to reach out directly to Canton and get the answer. Phone # 203-481-9460

This is their email contact form: https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/contact-us/

Q: How far down should the oil be when the motor is not running?
A: IMO probably as high as possible, as long as the oil level clears the counterweights. I don't know what that means in terms of quarts or even inches on your dipstick - so you may be on your own there.

What I did on mine was fill it to the level of the crank scraper before I installed it, then measure the volume. After installation I added that amount of oil, inserted the dipstick and marked the level of oil. I know some people add an extra quart for a running engine, but mine already holds enough oil (about 13 litres system capacity) so I'm not worried about it.