View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

The hood scope is all about getting cooler fresh air into the intake (carb) for combustion. But without something directing the cool air into carb or throttle body, it will just add to air flow down into the engine bay and under the car without any real benefit for a cold air charge. When I was working with heat exchanger design for turbos, the capture of the cool air was almost as important as the heat exchanger's thermal transfer capability.

If you add a turkey pan around the carb and have a good hood scoop, it will most likely reduce, if not eliminate, your vapor lock. I think I remember some posting on this site in the past describing people even adding some shielding on the bottom of the turkey pans to better insulate the heat coming up from the top of the intake manifold to the bottom of the carb body. This is the heat that causes the fuel to vaporize the fuel right in the carb before it really gets to enter the intake runners.

The incoming air at speed will only flow as the intake throttle sucks air and the additional leakage around the pan and the bottom of the hood. If you look closely at the Mustang Shaker style scoops and Chrysler's intake scoops, they are sealed to the air cleaner and typically not very large for the opening.

I will be interested in some of the experts on here helping to identify the scoop you have!

Good Luck!