View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     

OK,
So I am a sort of middle aged guy now living in central Ontario, Canada....OK.....hmmmmm, not enough I guess.
Wife, dog, 2 cats, grown children, job, mortgage the usual...

I fell in lust with the shape of the Cobra at a fairly early age, 10 or so....

At the time I did not really know much abut the various types I just though they were cool, As I got a bit older and attended some car show I came to understand the differences, Sometime in the mid 80's I was at a big show in Toronto, Speed-o-rama or the Auto Show or something and there was a display that had a couple of Cobras one was a 289 with the Ontario plate "COBRA" might have been the early days of LMC?

I still have a picture of it, I think it was the first time I really understood what the small block car looked like, very classic, narrow body, wire wheels, leather... hmmm, very nice, almost elegant.......Oh there I go again dreaming about little sport cars again......

I spent a lot of my 20's building and racing dragsters in southern Ontario and the north eastern USA, lots of fun and great memories, I was fairly involved with the vintage VW crowd in the late 90's and early 2000's but always had a Cobra somewhere in the back of my brain. Just biding my time I guess... I was in talks to buy a Johnex slabside body about 2000 or so ( wow, has it been that long ) but life takes strange turns sometimes lets just say..... and it did not happen.

I was excited when FFR announced the FIA kit, and a Canadian version too ( yes its a big problem here) wich was close but still not quite what I was looking for. Also being that I don't want to be taking out loans for my toys the up front cost is fairly steep.
And then it happened, I was looking for something related and an add popped up on kijiji...

I had recently promised myself " no more new projects" Ha! like that ever works....... but I was good....I waited a couple of weeks and it did not go away, I contacted the seller....he had some stuff to deal with about picking it up somewhere etc., will get back to me.....I did not hear back from him for a couple of weeks, I thought it was gone..... then, yes he was going to send me more pictures....Oh dam it even looks right price is really good too ....I talked to my wife ( always a good idea ) so time to get at it, I guess...a beautiful day on the road to Quebec and back and.........
THERE IS A SLABSIDE BODY IN MY SHOP !!

So now perhaps I will have something to add to the group, I will need help along the way please, there is much to do, I will add my knowledge where I can but be warned I am a slow typist and I like to say stupid things so feel free to call me out on them

So I guess that's it for now, here we go, pay your money, take the ride!

Last edited by old willy; 04-01-2019 at 09:07 PM..