Thread: compressors
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Hauss,

I doubt leaving air in the tank is an issue, other than the moisture concern. Well it does push on the check valve(s) that prevent(s) the air from blowing back though the compressor. Moisture is what works on corroding the tank. Once the tank has corroded to the point it cannot hold the pressure that is in it, the failure of the tank happens, which is ugly.

The tank should have a drain valve for blowing out condensate. I would blow it down when I quit using it. Then blow it down again the next day or a few hours later, to get what continues to form as the tank cools. Anytime there is a drop in ambient temp (that drops the air temp in the tank) more condensate can form. Which is why I like the idea of blowing the condensate down on a cool morning.

The air tanks in the plant I work at were installed in 1969. They are in service 24/365, except for servicing the PRVs. The big difference is that we have driers located between the pressure tanks and the compressors. The air in those tanks is always around a -10 F dewpoint. No moisture in the air tanks, and they have lasted 50 years.