View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I had previously worked as a HMSA inspection tech, in my opinion the most stringent of the vintage racing organization in the US. I was also a competitor in HMSA vintage racing. The rules were very well defined, engine displacement, no roller rockers, no single plane intake manifolds, production cast iron engine block and cylinder heads and the list goes on. You would be amazed at the number of ways there are to combat friction with standard type rocker arms. The induction systems were dependent on the class and the "in period" rules for the class, any deviation had to be backed up by documented proof. A good example is the use of Webers, even though they were accepted by the rules they were not mandatory for the class, you could utilize a four barrel system on a dual plane intake manifold.

I was aware of certain vintage racers that would use roller rockers on one cylinder bank and stock type rockers on the other. Their thought was that they had a 50/50 chance of getting away with the roller rockers depending on which valvecover was pulled for the inspection. I also know that even though you were not allowed roller rockers you could run a roller cam.

Last edited by CompClassics; 04-11-2019 at 08:58 AM..