View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm similar to the originals. This is a crappy shot, but I did just change the fluid in there over the winter. It's a Salisbury unit, but it's not identical to your shot or what went in the originals; my casting is different. It does have a Powr-Lok in there along with Dana 44 gears. It's vented about as simply as it can get I think part of the confusion on the differential threads over the years is that we don't stop to think what's in the other guy's car. We assume it's the same as ours (if it's the same brand), and we are all getting so damn old that we forget the difference between similar sounding rears, like TrueTrac and Trac-Lok. I remember threads where the Kirkham had a Jag-based rear in it, but I don't know how common or uncommon that is. Unfortunately, a lot of high-end Cobra owners around here would be hard pressed to tell you exactly what sort of limited slip they had in their rear, much less whether it had clutch disks, gears, needed a friction modifier, or why in the world it might pump gear oil up, up and away to begin with. I'm trying to remember if I recall anyone with a Jag-based rear complaining that their gear oil got too hot -- maybe that's more of a TrueTrac thing.