View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

OK Guy's allow me to do some explaining of the diff and it's operation regarding the Venting of the Differential.

I'm starting with a Jag Cover right off of a Jaguar Diff .... if you will notice it is to thick to install on a Cobra as there is not enough room because of it's cooling louvers, but it does show what the level should be in a Dana 44 type of Rear End.

Now if you look at a Kirkham Rear End you can see where the fill hole is and see that compared to the Jaguar's Cover it is raised to high.

Back in 2004 Tom and David and I discussed this and what we realized was that the Rear Cover they were using was off of a Front Differential on a Jeep Dana 44. If you will notice that the fill hole is way to high ....therefore to much oil was being installed into the Rear End because the fill hole was at least 3/4" to high.... When a couple of folks that purchased the first few Kirkhams ....they noticed this issue of pumping oil out of the rear end and filling up the catch can. When I was building KMP259 and I got to this part of the build I needed to come up with a solution to solve the issue.

Looking at both of the covers you see this difference in the fill levels.

Now lets turn them over and look at the inside of the two covers.

Now you can see the how much higher the fill hole is on the Front Jeep cover verses the Stock Jaguar Cover. Also you can see how Jaguar approached the Venting issue inside of their cover.... So many of the Mfg's have install fences and boarders around the Vent hole on a Stock Jaguar. So the MFG's have addressed this issue long ago. However the power and acceleration of a Cobra is way different then a Jaguar or any other Sports Car. Also Those of us that have spent time Racing and on Race Tracks realize that the Mfg's build for the street and We have to modify many componets in our cars so they are safe and capable of Acceleration and Braking and the fluids stay where they are suppose to.

Last edited by Morris; 04-15-2019 at 02:17 PM..