View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Now you can see what we did to modify the Rear end Cover. We knew from past experience that we needed to separate the gear wash from the ring gear & the Differential to the Vent of the Rear End. That way you don't get any pumping action from the gear wash pressure coming off of the spinning unit.

Also you can see how the Fence is on a angle to catch the gear oil coming from the Differential as well.

The next part we wanted to experiment with was Drilling a Hole in the top of the Rear End and move the vent up to the top. There is not much room on the top of the Rear End when installed in the vehicle. We drilled an installed a 1/4"NPT x 90* AN-6 Fitting so we could vent the Rear End from the top... the Top of these Rear Ends are very thick and that aids in the the ability to drill a nice large hole so the velocity is much slower for the air movement in the vent hole where as the rear cover used a much smaller hole and that would have a much higher pressure of oil & air coming thru it. You just have to use a leader hose cause you can't get any wrenches up in that area. The other item you will notice is that our return line from the Cooler goes into the Pinion Bearing and that is what that hole is used for... that is not ....and I repeat that is not a Vent hole.... I think some will use it as a Vent hole but it is not a good place for the vent....as the gear oil wash is completely trying to cover the pinion bearing like it should..... One last comment ....you will notice we use a coarse filter on our vent hose.... that will stop oil and only allow air to pass thru to the catch can. Very important.