View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
The original 1960's wire wheels were manufactured by Dunlop and the part number for the 15x6 was D464. The earlier wheel was an outside laced 15x5.5, sorry I don't have the part number.

Information I have collected.
Cobras
6DM4408 was the standard road wheel for Cobras CSX2001 through CSX2164 Cobras (CSX2160 being the first car known to get the new wider design wheels.) was a Dunlop® made 15 inch X 5.5 inch (also written as 15X5.5) “bead laced” painted all steel heavy duty 72 wire spoke design that included clearance for disc type brakes. There was also an optional chrome plated version that was quite popular. Based on the AC chassis manual the model was Dunlop 6DM4408. Occasionally, early cars with painted wire wheels had wheels painted other colors besides silver. I have seen period images of white and black wheels.

X 464 is the 70 spoke “well laced” Dunlop assembly design designation for the 15X6 Cobra painted wire wheels. The number is stamped into the rim where it is hidden in use. I measured one of the original condition wheels from CSX2310 as having a 3-5/16 inch back spacing. Occasionally, early cars with painted wire wheels had wheels painted other colors besides silver. I have seen period images of black and red wheels.

XA464 is the 70 spoke “well laced” design code for 15X6 Cobra chrome plated wheels. The outer rims of the two designs are quite different. As far as I can tell it is illegal everywhere to make and sell new wheels in the XA464 design because they lack a modern safety feature.

Cobra 15X6 wheels are unique to AC Cars. They were literally the first wheel designed by anybody specifically for AC as far as I can tell. AC did manage to fit them to some other leaf spring chassis cars besides Cobras.

All reproductions, several companies in multiple countries on multiple continents, make wheels similar but not the same as the X 464 wheel SO FAR. Somebody sent me drawings they obtained from the two biggest reproducers and the wheels that make are definitely different than what Dunlop made for AC Cars.

AC 289 Sports
Before AC Cars stopped making what people loosely call some type Cobra, despite what anybody called them when new, AC Cars produced a number of running cars, cars without engines and transmissions, and plain rolling chassis for various projects people wanted such things for. The completed cars they offered were called AC 289 Sports and were to the casual observer in many ways like very late 427 Cobras except for wheels, tires, and engine/transmission packages. I have never found anything authoritative in print but it is believed AC Cars had Dunlop change the Cobra 15X6 wheel design to better suit the 427 Cobra style coil spring chassis. I had four wheels removed from a coil spring chassis. I remember that they were not just like the X 464 wheels on CSX2310 and they had a different number stamped into them. All I can recall is X 47something. I wish I had recorded dimensions and markings.

Mystery Wheels
X 470 70 spoke painted models. There are four of these well laced wheels in unrestored condition that we know about. They are 15X6 in size and have a 3-1/4” back spacing. A detailed comparison with X 464 wheels has not been made.