Thread: Brake question
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well - I may be completely off base but since I didn't find anything about your prior experience in older, manual brake cars, I wonder if it may be your expectation the ERA will brake like a new car. I have a 66 manual brake Vette and the old GM engineers have said several times over on Corvette Forums that the car has a high level of braking performance, even compared to newer cars, but they were designed in an era when higher pedal pressure was the norm for their engineering departments. In other words - you really have to really stomp on the brakes and when you do they will haul you down. That was how they were designed then. When I picked up my new GT350 Shelby, ever time I barely touched the brake pedal for about a month, it threw me against the seat belt until I got used to them. It's all a matter of pedal ratio, MC size, piston area and power/no power assist. Possibly Bob can weigh in the ERA design.

I may be off-base on this and maybe something is wrong. Sounds like you may need to step down slightly in size on the master cylinder piston diameter and live with a bit longer brake pedal stroke for a bit easier pedal pressure - and hopefully improved response.