View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tim, Thank you for the invite and open arms of the VT Cobra Club. If nothing major comes up I should have the car road worthy with in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully NY will schedule my inspection before May 25th and I will pass on the first attempt. I want to make the first run with you guys.

I've cleaned parts and have started assembly. Yesterday I installed the engine and trans. The engine is a lowly 305 that's been upgraded with new Vortec heads, 9.5 pistons, and a mild cam. I think that it's in the 280hp range. It came out of a 1983 Camaro. The original owner put 30,000 miles on the car then did the engine build. He only ran it a couple of thousand miles and then pulled it and installed an LS engine. I purchased it for $600 which included the flywheel, clutch and accessories. When I can afford it I will upgrade the engine.

The Trans is a Richmond T10. The most common C4 Vette rear gear is 2:59 to 1. That's whats in this car. With that gear overdrive isn't needed. The trans only weighs 70-75lbs and it's compact. That's an advantage in this small car.

I purchased some tall aluminum valve covers to dress up the engine a bit.

The engine/trans is a tight fit. But, I was able to build the frame around them so that everything is easily accessible for maintenance and repairs. The frame is only 46 inches wide (43 inside). It's small. I put the frame at ride height and put the body on this week to make sure that the fuel tank can be installed and removed with it on and to look at tail light placement. I had forgotten how small and low this car is. I'm happy with it.