View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
First drive out with legal plates today.
26 miles later and it seems the gas gauge has gone down rather a lot.
I accidentally left the vacuum advance unplugged from the distributor, so I guess this could affect mpg? The carb would also have been sucking more air than it should.

However, the more awkward problem is a leak around the oil filter - some spray under the bonnet and an oil coating on the remote limes and chassis. I have tightened as much as i dare with a socket on the underside of the filter. Any suggestions?
Kevin I am assuming you have the remote oil filter....I have had leaks at the block where the remote filter adapter attaches - 427Charlie fixed it by pulling the adapter off and resealing it with some Permatex. If you are leaking up top at the filter then a) check the lines and fittings as suggested above and b) pull the filter off and make sure the rubber gasket is not cut and that the sealing surface on the filter mount is clean and has no burrs....either way you should be able to see where it is coming from with the engine running..