View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I wanted to let everyone who has participated in my input to this posting and make you aware of my findings. I have reinstalled the rebuilt differential, new ring and pinion, bearings and seals were put in at the cost to my client, who purchased the car new less than 1500 miles ago, and myself. We installed the differential and following David Kirkhams instructions on using the breather port at the front of the differential case above the pinion to attach the differential breather hose to instead of the way the vehicles manufacturer installed the breather hose, to the differentials rear cover port like they were advised NOT to do. We also fabricated a proper breather catch can that has a proper, top inlet, oil air separator element and a drain. We secured this catch can in a way that under no circumstance will it allow fluid or debris to re-enter the differential. Following the break in procedure outlined by the rebuilder we completed the differential repair and will be delivering this Shelby American Inc CSX6000 Series Continuation Cobra back to its owner in Monterey. During the break in procedure the rebuild shop recommended that there be several driving procedures to follow for proper break in. After each one of the driving cycles was complete we opened the breathers catch can drain to monitor for fluid being "pumped" out as had happened previously with the original breather system installation, there was NO fluid within the breather catch can noted at any time during the procedure. The differential fluid remained exactly where it was supposed to, within the differential.

TIC TOC, So when is the differential in your Superformance Mk2 or Superformance built Shelby American Continuation Cobra going to expire due to lack of lubrication from an incorrect differential breather installation? TIC TOC

I can categorically confirm that the damage to my clients differential was caused by lack of lubrication within the differential due to the incorrect installation of the differential breather system that was installed by the vehicles manufacturer prior to the delivery of the vehicle to my shop. I approached the manufacturer regarding this issue and the manufacturer denied any responsibility on their part, BUYER BEWARE!

Last edited by CompClassics; 04-29-2019 at 10:20 AM..