View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Mark IV,

I am referring this problem as a manufacturing issue since this was the way the vehicle was setup as delivered new. I do not know the individual steps that were taken from the start of the vehicles build to when the vehicle was floored, and to be frank it does not matter, so it is the manufacturer's responsibility for the damage caused by the incorrectly installed differential breather system. If the differential is an option in a Mk2 Superformance be it a street model or an FIA model the issue still pertains to those vehicles, it's up to the individual owner to verify what is installed in their vehicle and if this issue pertains to them or not.
I do not consider this issue the responsibility of the differential manufacturer for several reasons, first is that the differential was not purchased separately from the vehicle, second the differential was not installed by the differential manufacturer, third the breather system was not installed by the differential manufacturer, four I have an email from the differential manufacturer stating that they had repeatedly told the manufacture how to properly vent the differential, fifth and the most important the manufacturer did not stand behind HIS product and left the problem up to HIS customer to deal with both mechanically and financially. Being that you are a Superformance dealer, who does the differential and differential breather system installations? Since you will not state who installs these parts I have to come to the conclusion from your statement above that it is Hi Tech that is the installer of both the differential and the incorrectly designed differential breather system. I would be curious in knowing how a distributor could be at fault when it was the manufacturer that built the car?

When you purchase a new car you don't go after the individual component manufacturers if something fails, you go after the manufacturer that installed the part when the car was being built.

patrickt,

There were less than 1500 very cautious street miles on the vehicle when I went to the owners location in Palm Springs to check out the issue he was having. The noise that was transmitted by the differential was low when at low speeds and became much louder as the speed increased. Being that the owner is "new" to this type of vehicle he very cautious about the possibilities of the car getting away from him and drove it accordingly.

Last edited by CompClassics; 04-30-2019 at 08:57 AM..